Is it weird that I’m super excited to share this recipe? Hot chocolate is one of my all time favorite comfort drinks in the winter. There’s nothing like snuggling up with a cup of hot cocoa in December and watching a Christmas movies. #cozyaf
When I lived in Baltimore (and drank milk), my Mom and I used to go to Stone Mill Bakery and get their valrhona hot chocolate with one of their ginormous housemade marshmallows. IT.WAS.LIFE-CHANGING…….until I stopped eating dairy…and refined sugar…those hot chocolates became much less appealing.
Enter The Best Vegan Hot Chocolate! You complete me. If you don’t like offensively sweet things, then this recipe is for you. If, however, you have a wicked sweet tooth, then you can add more date, coconut sugar, mesquite, stevia etc. to your liking. If you’re using collagen (not vegan), then this cup of deliciousness is also a great source of protein and promotes good gut health and healthy skin, hair, nails and joints. This recipe is also a good vehicle for adaptogens if thats your jam. I love to add a little reishi to sooth my nervous system and promote healing.
- gut health
- healthy skin, hair, nails, joints
- healthy fats
- good fiber
- hormone balancing
The Best Vegan Hot Chocolate
Ingredients – 1 large serving
- 1 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup cashews (up to 1/3 cup if omitting collagen)
- 2 dates, pitted
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1-2 scoops collagen peptides (optional, I use Vital Proteins), or vegan unflavored protein powder
- 1 tsp mesquite
- 1/2 tsp maca powder (optional)
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- cinnamon or cayenne to dust, or blend in
- Combine all ingredients except collagen in a high-speed blender. Blend on high until hot.
- Add in collagen and blend to combine.
- Serve with a dusting of cinnamon or cayenne.